Friday, February 13, 2009

Is or Isn't?

"I'd rather live my life as if there is a God, and die and find out that there isn't, then live my life like there is no God, and die and find out that there is."

I was thinking about this quote the other day. And it pretty much describes my whole outlook on life. I mean, it would suck, if I lived a life not believing in God, and being a horrible person, and then I died, and found out that there really was a God. I've had people ask me, "But what if you're wrong?"
Well, then I am wrong. But it seems to me that there's a lot more at stake living a life of not believing in God. If I am wrong, and there is no God, then I've lived a good life, and have been a better person because of it, and when I die I will become any number of things that people think happens after someone dies.
But if I live life like there is no God, and I die...then what?

Those same people that ask me why I believe in God, say that my faith is silly, and that its ridiculous to even have faith. But the funny thing is, those same people have some ounce of faith to stand so strongly on their opinions, whatever they may be.

I don't try and impose my beliefs on anyone, but it seems to me that it's a lot easier to believe that some being created everything, then to believe that we came from rocks. Especially when evolution technically can't be a theory, because no one has actually witnessed it happening. And a theory is something that has been proven by means through the scientific method. Which leaves Evolution as still a hypothesis, not a true, sound theory. A theory as state by S.E. Smith is "is a tested and testable concept to explain occurrences" and "theories are created after observing and testing." An example of a theory would be Newton's theory of gravity. He hypothesized, and tested and observed. Evolution has been hypothesized, but has not be actively observed. At least so far as Christianity is concerned, there are non-Christian documents stating the Christ lived, and was crucified for his teachings and after his death walked on the earth for 40 more days.

Like, I said, I could be wrong. But I'd rather live my life believing in God than not. It gives me hope, and without hope I'm not sure what I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment